6.1 Discussion Board
Consider the following scenario from your textbook:
Riots broke out in Indiana’s privately run New Castle Correctional Facility on April 24, 2007. For two hours, about 500 inmates ran wild, burning mattresses, smashing windows, and throwing furniture. Before response teams arrived on the scene, several guards and maintenance workers barricaded themselves in a room to avoid dozens of raging inmates wrapped in masks and wielding sticks and knives. Two staff and seven inmates suffered minor injuries, including cuts, scrapes, and tear gas exposure.
According to Indiana Department of Correctional Commissioner J. David Donahue, the rioting began after several newly transferred inmates took off their shirts in the prison’s recreation area in protest. Later, a spokeswoman for the prison management company said that inmates had been complaining about the lack of recreation and other inmate programming.
After the incident, the state analyzed the events and recommended pressing charges against 26 inmates, most of who were recently transferred from another facility in Arizona. Their report concluded that the transfer happened too quickly as an effort to combat overcrowding in the privately managed prison in Arizona. The Department of Corrections insisted that in the future more time be allowed to hire and train staff to prepare for large transfers.
Initial Post Instructions
For your initial post, analyze the scenario and evaluate the following. Include a synthesis of academic concepts.
· What does this event show about causes of institutional unrest?
· What steps could have been taken to prevent this riot?
· What use of force is appropriate in circumstances like this?
· Finally, research the history of corrections in your state regarding state prison riots – provide an analysis of what you learned regarding causes, use of force appropriateness, and future prevention steps/effort.
Discussion Response Instructions
For your responses to classmates, critically examine the initial posts of your peers. Do you agree or disagree with them? What are the strengths and weaknesses of the concepts presented? Are their perspectives different or like yours? Why?
· In addition to one initial post, respond to at least two peers.
· Initial Post Length: minimum of 250 words
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.