Begin by reading
this article from John McManus
on how to be a critical consumer of media. Then read the assigned CQ Researcher article on Media Bias for this week found in the Readings & Assignments page.
After completing these readings visit the next two sites:
Media Research Center
is a conservative organization that maintains that media coverage is biased toward the left.
· The group,
Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting
, is a liberal watchdog group that holds the opposite opinion. Read what these sites have to offer (briefings, reports, etc.)
Answer the following questions about what you have read:
1. Summarize two briefings or reports from the Media Research Center related to media bias. Explain how the MRC finds the coverage discussed to be biased.
2. Summarize two briefings or reports from FAIR related to media bias. How does FAIR find the coverage discussed to be biased.
3. Do you find that one side (Media Research or FAIR) had a more convincing argument that the media is strongly biased toward one side or the other? Explain.
Now that you’re read about how to be a critical consumer of media and about media bias, do some reading of the mainstream media. Examine at least four articles on American politics in recent issues of at least two of major U.S. newspapers (2 articles from each paper): The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal or The Washington Times. Provide a citation for the articles you read in APA format. For examples of how to cite works for your bibliography check out the APA resources provided by the
4. Briefly summarize the articles that you chose. How well did they pass the SMELL test described by James McManus? Give specific examples.
5. Did any of the articles that you read seem to favor one viewpoint or political party over another? Why or why not? Illustrate with specific examples of bias or lack of it.
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.